Back in 2012, Thailand banned Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) matches. People could come to Thailand and train in MMA, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or any number of other martial arts, but they couldn’t officially fight a MMA match in the kingdom of Thailand.
That all changed this year. On May 27th, 2016, Thailand had it’s first ever MMA match. The event was put on by One Championship and it was called Kingdom of Champions and it was held at Impact Arena just outside of Bangkok.
One of the weird things that Dom encountered at the event was that you couldn’t take any food into the arena area. Also, you couldn’t take any non Chang beverages into the arena area. Normally, that wouldn’t be an issue, but all the food areas that had beverages, didn’t sell any Chang beverages. So when Dom and Tracy went to find their seats, they took Tracy’s water off of her, because it wasn’t Chang water. Later, when they went out to get something to drink and some hotdogs/sausages, on their way out, they asked and found out that they could only bring Chang beverages in. Tracy went and got the hotdogs and sausages and Dom stood in line to get Tracy’s water and himself some beer. Another weird thing is that they weren’t selling draft glasses of Chang beer, they were selling cans of Chang beer, and you had to pour them into plastic cups yourself. They also had trays, but they didn’t have enough trays for the numbers of people that they were selling to, so by the time Dom got to the front of the line, they had just ran out of trays. When Dom asked for four (4) beers, they gave him four (4) cans and four (4) cups. When he asked for a tray, they told him they were all out, so he changed his mind and got two (2) beers so he could carry them. Also, they made Tracy open her bottle of water and took the cap to her bottle. Other than that, the night was a really good night.
Now to the fights.
- Kev Hemmorlor (0-0) vs. Kritsada Konsrichai (3-2) in the Strawweight division.
- Ye Thway Ne (0-0) vs. Pongsiri Mitsatit (6-0) in the Strawweight division.
- Khon Sichan (0-0) vs. Yodsanan Sityodtong (1-1) in a catch weight at 136.7 lbs (62 kgs)
- Rocky Batolbatol (5-2) vs. Christian Lee (4-0) in the Featherweight division.
- Kyal Linn Aung (1-0) vs. Shannon Wiratchai (4-1) in the Lightweight division.
- Marcin Prachnio (10-2) vs. Leandro Ataides (8-2) in a catch weight at 211.2 lbs (95.8 kg)
- Rob Lisita (14-7) vs. Timofey Nastyokhin (9-2) in a catch weight at 160.9 lbs (73 kg)
- Kazunori Yokota (25-5) vs. the Featherweight Champion Marat Gafurov (13-1)
- Yoshitaka Naito (10-0) vs. the Strawweight Champion Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke (6-0)
They also had two (2) bands at the event. The first band that played after the second fight was Big Ass, which put on a great show and Bodyslam, which played after the last fight, that Dom and Tracy didn’t stay and see.
Have any comments, questions or feedback?
- Comment in show notes
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with or Follow me
Subscribe Rate Review Leave Comments
- Images are © Domnick M. Dumais & Tracy Dumais unless otherwise stated.